Bookbinding Workshop

I signed up to participate in a bookbinding workshop as I felt that this could be a useful skills for me to learn in the future. Before starting the workshop I had no idea about how much time and effort that goes into actually making a single book, however, I now really see the skill that is required.

Firstly we started off by folder the 10 pieces of paper in half then using the bone creaser to ensure that the paper was creased properly, we had to ensure that the corners meet up perfectly. Once this was done we had to make 5 couples by placing one insider the other. These are known as signatures which are stitched together to form the paper block for the book. The next stage was to measure 4 points on the spine of each signature, started by measuring 1cm in then 3.5cm in from the first dots made. Once you have marked each of the four dots on all the signatures then taking the braddle we then made a hole on each of the marks, making sure to twist the braddle to make the hole the correct size.

The next stage of the process was to stitch the signatures together, which was one of the hardest parts of the whole process. This was done using a needle and linen book binding thread, we used around a meter of thread each. We tied a double knot in the end then knotted the thread to the needle before we started stitching. The sticking was the hardest as you had to remember where to tie the knots and which holes you needed to go through however, in the end I think that I really enjoyed the entire of the sticking and found it quick relaxing. As a reminder for the future ensure that you make sure each of the stitches are pulled through tight in order to ensure that the pages are kept together.

Once this was all secured in the place the next part was gluing the scrim to the spine and then making the jacket for the book. The scrim was relatively easy using PVA to secure it, we then had to cut the board to create the jacket, the board I cut were 14.8×12.4cm then the spin was 1.2cm x 12.4cm. This was one of the harder that I first thought as you needed to be so accurate however, in the end I achieved it. then using PVA glue I attached the bored to the cover fabric. Then it was time to fold the fabric onto the board, to ensure there were no air pockets I used the bone creaser to help. Once this was complete then it was time to bring the two items together by using PVA glue to attached the first and last page to the covers and creasing along the hinge gap on the cover.

Overall I found this workshop very useful and interesting. I have learnt a new skill which I think will aid me in the future not only for my academic practices but could be a new hobby. It could be a workshop I develop further if I ever need to produce pop up books or likewise for the project.

2FB343B4-3612-4CDE-AF6E-ABD755E3CFC0

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Create your website with WordPress.com
Get started
%d bloggers like this: