Changing Faces – the grid & extra developments

Following on from the previous post, throughout the course of the project I have worked using a grid system on my indesign files, however, in this last development I decided to use a 4 column with a gutter of 8mm and the margins were set to 12.7mm along all sides of the document. Using this grid system I found was the best way to get the imagery and type displayed together.

Screen Shot 2019-03-17 at 16.14.27Screen Shot 2019-03-17 at 16.14.41Screen Shot 2019-03-17 at 16.14.49

In the InDesign file I decided to use a 3mm bleed which would allow for there there not to be any edges missing when trimmed. This was important to my spreads as in some cases I required the imagery to be spread right to the corners of the document.

Screen Shot 2019-03-17 at 16.54.38
Example of Rag within the editorial. 

Another type setting detail that I thought needed looking at was the rag of the type. As all the body copy was set flush left/ ragged right, I needed to ensure that my rag wasn’t to poor. I wanted to ensure that the rag had almost a fluid movement to it, moving in and out on each line (where possible).  I did the best that I could with trying to ensure that there weren’t any sudden indents that could cause the eye to create images that aren’t intended. I have also tried to eliminate any rivers that were running throughout the type, as this is something that I wouldn’t want the eye to be distracted by too.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Create your website with WordPress.com
Get started
%d bloggers like this: