On Display – Logo/Marque Development

After the group tutorial last week I reflected on the feedback I had and changed the name to identically different. Identically Different was still a name that reflects the exhibition and its meaning.

I wanted the marque to reflect the story and meaning of the exhibition so I started to think a bit deeper into how I could do this. I thought about initially mirroring the words identically different as when people look in a mirror they expect to see the exact same but when it’s different people are surprised. This idea I explored however in the end I felt that actually have to read the logo using a mirror would be to complex, although it was a good idea I think for the context of the project looking at this perspective another way might be a better approach.

Following on from this I went back to the drawing board and picked up the ID visual mark that had been so prominent in the feedback from the tutorial last week. I started sketching the marque in various forms and compositions. I went back to this idea of mirrors, and I thought about what would the logo look like in a mirror. When an i is reflected it remains the same (identically) but when you reflect the letter d it flips (different).

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

I also wanted to make the visual marque separate from peoples thoughts of ID in the sense of Identification. When you see ID written it’s normal in capitals and bold, however, I thought that by using a lower case ‘i’ and a capital ‘D’ flipped would still be recognised but wouldn’t be instantly related to identification. I could make people question, “iD what does this mean then?”.

I then took this sketch and developed it in illustrator. I decided on the typeface Azo Sans because I wanted a san serif typeface that would give then sense of being contemporary while still being quite professional as the exhibition has imagery of emergency service & military uniforms. In Illustrator I was able to start experimenting with colour palettes. I had previously looked at colour palettes but I was struggling to find one that I thought worked for the exhibition. I looked at a few exhibitions out there and their colour palette seemed to be bold to attract visitors and still related to their concept.

I thought about the phrase ‘it isn’t always black and white’ which lends itself to the concept by thinking of uniforms black and white and the individuals as colours. This got me thinking about having black and white as the base colours but then having some accent colours to go alongside it.

Screen Shot 2019-10-15 at 17.35.38

I decided the accent colours need to be bright and bold to attract my target audience which are members of the public mainly aged between 16 – 40 however, as I think that the exhibition will be outside, the audience is the public which means that it will attract everyone from younger children to older generations. From the colour palettes I looked at I ended up going for white, black, blue green and a pink as I felt that these accent colours worked well together and offered a variety of choice when it come to design other aspect later on in the project.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Create your website with WordPress.com
Get started
%d bloggers like this: