In the group tutorial we showed everybody our ideas and development we had made. I brought along the two storyboards and the family photographs to help me explain my ideas and research that I had undertaken already. From the tutorial I wanted to see which idea my peers and tutors thought was the strongest so I could develop this further. The overall majority felt that the idea of showing change amongst a generation of people would be more interesting to read than showing how we get our information, there was more ability to be creative.
The tutorial also helped me to get some direction for the project to help me progress further and get into the project. I received the following feedback on my project:
- Look more into value systems (family) to help centre the narrative for the novel
- Research into non-fiction graphic novels further. Examples/Novelist to look at are Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi, Joe Sacco, Probably Nothing by Matilda Tristram, Draw what you see Helga Weissara and Ethel & Ernest by Raymond Briggs
- Think about showing generational change in the family, are there any major events that have taken place that changed something in the family dynamic.
- Using family images are going to work best for this possibility to adapt them further.
- Need to think about placement, choosing the correct memories to make the timeline of the novel right. Timeline is really important to this story.
I think the next stage now is look at some of the novels based on true stories to understand more about how they are put together. I also think that I need to start mapping out the important events in the timeline of my novel before moving forward.