DfRL: Research Frames Task

Following on from the research frames refresher & the information is power lecture we were asked to work through our project briefs to map our each of the 6 research frames using information design to show our initial responses to each of the questions.

Normally I would start my research by creating a mind map so display my research I thought that the visual thinking method of information design would blend itself nicely to my working process. I have also seen visual thinking/graphic note taking being created before and I thought that it work really well to I want to try incorporate it into my own process. Before taking it into visual concepts I thought that I would write down my gut reaction to each of the questions under each of the frames, this would help me know my initial reaction which I could then visualise. Without thinking about it I did draw a mind map with these initial responses on, however, I think that this will help me to structure my visual thinking design better.

Using my iPad Pro and procreate app I was able to quickly visual my thoughts through imagery. I found that it was easy to think of visuals for the purpose frame as it was about using statistics and illustrating content whereas the other frames was more about my initial gut reaction. For example for point of view I found it was best to visually draw the different types of people who’s voice is there & who’s was missing.

Visual Thinking – Mapping out the Brief

I presented my visual thinking research to the group during Friday’s tutorial. This went really well they thought that I broke down the brief really well & had started to think about ideas of how to approach this brief One thing I spoke about was the one of the things that shocked me was the fact that people don’t know about this, especially someone like me who works within retail. This seemed to be an interesting approach and something that I could research into further in order to potentially bring this idea forward in the future of this project.

This task really helped me to bring together my initial reactions to the project, and get designing from day one. This method has helped to visually think about my research rather than looking at words on a page. David suggested printing it off our outcomes and putting them up in our workspaces if we can, and keep coming back to them as the core values of the brief. My next stage now is to continue to research more into aphasia before bring together the creative brief on Monday & Tuesday.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Create your website with WordPress.com
Get started
%d bloggers like this: