Dissertation Design: Type & Layout Challenge

This morning we had a workshop with David where we took part in a type and layout challenge. We had to work in small groups and create a A3 double page spread using the text provide to us. However, at each stage we were given various constraints on what we were and weren’t allowed to do. This made the challenge harder at the beginning as we are used to using weight and point size in order to show hierarchy. Even though I have started editorial design this year through ISTD I think this workshop has given me a refresher on the important elements within editorial design.

I worked alongside Meg and Daisy for this task using teams and screen share to get everyone input into designing the outcome. As we didn’t have a lot of time to create the different outcomes we decided to try and focus on type detailing, hierarchy and layout rather than reflecting the theme and style of channel 4. If we’d had more time I think that we would have tried to do this as well.

Version 1

Above is the first version we produced after reading the through the text. At this point we were only able to change colour we had to keep the same typeface, weight, font size and leading. I personally found this one of the most challenging versions to create, especially since the tables in the texts through us off because none of us really understood them. We used colour however to try give a sense of hierarchy at this stage. We also paid attention to one length and detailing.

When David reviewed ours he thought the type detailing was good and just need more attention as we had some widows in the paragraphs. He wanted us to pay more attention to the table transforming it from the table that we had been given in the original text. This was going to be our focus point for the next development.

Version 2

In the second version we focused on creating a table that was more exciting. In this we were able to start playing around with weights of the typeface to create hierarchy so we used within the paragraphs and fixed the type detailing errors that David suggested. At this stage the table stretched across the whole page and this was something that David picked up on and said we could pull the columns closer together in order to use less of the space. David also suggested we think about hierarchy because there is no sense of hierarchy within the table maybe using colour could help.

Version 3

For the final iteration the only constraint that we had was to keep the typeface the same. This meant that we were able to develop it a bit more in terms of hierarchy. We made the decision to try focus on getting the table to work better we were happy with the type setting on the first page. We added colour to the table to try and show the headings clearly. With more time I personally felt there was more that we could have done to the table and it was something that David mentioned when we reviewed the outcomes for the final time. With more colours it could have been easier to read but the spacing between the column as rows appeared to be better.

I found this workshop helpful and considering we had to adapted it to work over teams I thought that it worked really well. Our communication skills were worked hard as there were times when we would point at things but as I was making the actual edits the I couldn’t see what they were talking about but it meant that our skills to communicate as a team really improved. It has started to get me to think about editorial design once more and thinking about how I can create spread that are using all the elements required in a good editorial piece.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Create your website with WordPress.com
Get started
%d bloggers like this: