After receiving feedback on my type and image project I decided that I needed to act upon certain elements in order to make a stronger outcome. In my feedback I learnt that I need to look at all element that could relate to the project, like modern poster design rather than just looking at posters from the particular movement.
From the feedback I have realised that I need to analyse the brief in a more detail making sure that I have a clear understanding of what I need to do. I had effectively replicated a poster from the Art Deco period rather than ‘reimagined it’ which meant that I wasn’t meeting the brief entirely. The decorative image and the typeface that I had used were very Art Deco which meant that it was difficult to look past. From this feedback I decided to look at more modern geometric typefaces. To do this I decided to go through the fonts that I had available to find a typeface that would suit the poster. In the end I decided to chose Averier as it was similar to the previous typeface but had a modern twist to it. I kept the title as the same quotation as I felt that this worked well in giving a reimagined approach to the design.
In order to make a change to the decorative image, I went back through my development posts and found the image of the train that I had previously done. I know for future projects that I should develop all of these ideas to at least a mock up stage in order to make sure that I have explored all avenues. The poster need a more abstract image but still giving the essence of Art Deco. I took forward this ‘train’ illustration but abstracted it further to create an image that I think heavily resembles the Art Deco appeal. I think that these images better resemble the essence of Art Deco in a modern sense which is what the brief wanted me to do.
As this new image development I used a different colour palette, blue, black and white. I felt that this worked better with the design rather than the red, which could be considered too harsh in this design. Also, blue was a common colour used in the Art Deco period which is why I felt that it was appropriate to use in the poster. My feedback overall I was pleased with as I felt I am now able to push myself further to reach my potential. In terms of type setting I had a few rivers within my justified text paragraphs. This I felt needed addressing also as I wanted to make sure my typesetting was the best it could be, I adjusted it using the justification panel within Indesign.
Overall, after making the adjustments suggested and responding to the feedback I feel that I have created a stronger outcome which reimagines Art Deco rather than replicating it. The abstract image used gave a sense of the essence of the period while still having the modern appeal. I like both variations of the poster above as I feel that they are more contemporary and convey the essence of Art Deco. However, I feel that the second development is the best because the poster is more vibrant and has a more contemporary style and feeling about it. However, the line created a divide within the poster which makes the image look split, but the line does work with the visual language of the poster. I experimented with moving the line in different directions in order to remove the impression of a divide.
I feel that the second movement of the line is better as it allows the type to sit comfortably in it while still give the sense of abstractness. I think that the diagonal placement of the rectangle doesn’t work as well because it feels out of place with the rest of the poster. For this reason I feel that the final outcome that will best give the essence of the Art Deco while still give a contemporary feeling through the abstract nature of the image.